INEOS Grenadiers (Italy) - Press Release: Giro d'Italia - Stage 16 » Sacile › Cortina d'Ampezzo, 153km.
Egan Bernal made another big step in his quest for the Giro d’Italia title with an emphatic victory on the queen stage.
The Colombian attacked his rivals on the Passo Giau, securing the Cima Coppi prize and soloing to victory in difficult conditions in Cortina d’Ampezzo.
Bernal crossed the line 27 seconds ahead of his nearest rivals, proudly displaying the maglia rosa as he extended his overall race lead out to two minutes and 24 seconds.
Romain Bardet (Team DSM) and Damiano Caruso (Bahrain Victorious) finished second and third on the day, with Caruso elevating himself into second place overall.
Daniel Martinez was present as the GC group disintegrated under pressure from EF Pro Cycling on the early slopes of the Giau. The Colombian limited his losses over the top to remain in eighth place overall.
Some late changes pre-stage saw the route modified, with both the Passo Fedaia and Passo Pordoi climbs removed from the route due to the threat of bad weather.
Stage 16 Results:
1. Egan Bernal (INEOS Grenadiers) 4:22:41
2. Romain Bardet (Team DSM) +27"
3. Damiano Caruso (Bahrain Victorious) s.t.
4. Giulio Ciccone (Trek-Segafredo) +1:18"
5. Hugh Carthy (EF Education-Nippo) +1:19"
13. Daniel Martinez (INEOS Grenadiers) +3:13"
1. Egan Bernal (INEOS Grenadiers) 66:36:04
2. Damiano Caruso (Bahrain Victorious) +2:24"
3. Hugh Carthy (EF Education-Nippo) +3:40"
4. Aleksandr Vlasov (Astana-Premier Tech) +4:18"
5. Simon Yates (BikeExchange) +4:20"
8. Daniel Martinez (INEOS Grenadiers) +7:17"