INEOS Grenadiers (Italy) - Press Release: Giro d'Italia - Stage 9 » Castel di Sangro › Campo Felice (Rocca di Cambio), 158km.
Egan Bernal launched an emphatic late attack to win stage nine and move into the overall lead of the Giro d’Italia.
The Colombian burst clear of the GC favourites on the gravel roads of Campo Felice, winning solo by seven seconds, and elevating himself into the maglia rosa.
Bernal’s first stage win at a Grand Tour couldn’t have come in more dramatic fashion, with the break caught inside the final kilometre on the steep, traction-limited slopes.
Egan was set up perfectly by his team-mates on the day, with the team taking it up on the Ovindoli climb with Salvatore Puccio and Jonathan Narvaez, before driving onto the final ascent.
Stage nine result:
1. Egan Bernal (INEOS Grenadiers) 4:08:23
2. Giulio Ciccone (Trek Segafredo) +7"
3. Aleksandr Vlasov (Astana-Premier Tech) s.t.
4. Remco Evenepoel (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +10"
5. Dan Martin (Israel Start-Up Nation) s.t.
9. Daniel Martinez (INEOS Grenadiers) +12"
1. Egan Bernal (INEOS Grenadiers) 35:19:22
2. Remco Evenepoel (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +15"
3. Aleksandr Vlasov (Astana-Premier Tech) +21"
4. Giulio Ciccone (Trek Segafredo) +36"
5. Attila Valter (Groupama-FDJ) +43"
11. Daniel Martinez (INEOS Grenadiers) +1:12"