INEOS Grenadiers (Switzerland) - Press Release: Tour de Suisse - Stage 5 » Gstaad › Leukerbad, 175.2km.
Richard Carapaz powered into the overall lead at the Tour de Suisse following an impressive win on stage five.
The Ecuadorian took his first victory of 2021 in Leukerbad after an attacking finale on a day in the mountains. Launching a move with four kilometres to go, the Grenadier bridged across to rival Jakob Fuglsang before the pair went on to contest the finish.
Carapaz followed in the wheel as the Dane opened up his sprint on the uphill drag to the line. Victory saw Richie move into the yellow jersey and a 26-second lead over the Astana-Premier Tech rider with three stages to go.
The team worked hard to put Carapaz in position, pushing the pace at key moments and taking it up with 40km to go. Rohan Dennis hit the front on Erschmatt climb before Eddie Dunbar took over.
The Irishman battled valiantly as attacks fired up the road, keeping Carapaz within striking distance on the descent and ahead of the final climb. Continuing his strong race, Dunbar also moved up to 11th overall on the day.
Stage five result:
1. Richard Carapaz (INEOS Grenadiers) 4:01:52
2. Jakob Fuglsang (Astana-Premier Tech) s.t.
3. Michael Woods (Israel Start-Up Nation) +39"
4. Lucas Hamilton (Team BikeExchange) s.t.
5. Rigoberto Uran (EF Education-Nippo)
1. Richard Carapaz (INEOS Grenadiers) 16:42:50
2. Jakob Fuglsang (Astana-Premier Tech) +26
3. Maximilian Schachmann (Bora-Hansgrohe) +38"
4. Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +53"
5. Rigoberto Uran (EF Education-Nippo) +1:11"
11. Eddie Dunbar (INEOS Grenadiers) +4:28"