Heavy rain and strong winds early in the day put the race in doubt but eventually the race organizers and UCI commissaires decided to proceed but neutralize the result from the General Classification.
"Fortunately, the rain had cleared and the roads had mostly dried by the time the first team rolled out at 14:32", added BMC Team.
As the fourth to last team to roll down the ramp, BMC Racing Team was chasing the fastest provisional time of 29’01” set by Gazprom-RusVelo, which was later bettered by AG2R La Mondiale.
The team’s prowess in the discipline was immediately evident with the riders turning regularly, a perfect line in formation, and at the intermediate time check, BMC Racing Team clocked the fastest time by 25 seconds.
The three final teams to start couldn’t match BMC Racing Team’s speed and as the remaining teams navigated the technical course, the advantage increased.
With the time taken from the fourth rider to finish, Greg Van Avermaet led Brent Bookwalter, Stefan Küng, and Jürgen Roelandts across the line and stopped the clock at 27’25” which was an impressive 50.77km/hour average speed.
Astana Pro Team and AG2R La Mondiale completed the podium, 1’08” and 1’12” behind respectively.
BMC Racing Team's first team time trial victory of the season (c) Photo Gomez Sport
Quotes from the Finish Line:
- Stefan Küng - "It was a pretty demanding TTT but in the end, we are the best bike riders in the world, and I think we are able to handle this type of situation. This is also what makes a good bike rider. I am proud of the team. We did a good job, and we showed once again that we really know how to perform in this discipline and we know how to approach it no matter what the conditions are. We said that we didn't want to take inappropriate risks but that we wanted to go fast and I think that's what we did. It worked out well, so we are happy."
- Greg Van Avermaet - "We prepared for the time trial as good as possible, and we came here with the main objective to win today. It was hard to make a good decision this morning because it was raining a lot but when it dried up, I think everyone wanted to keep it safe but still go as fast as possible to the line to take this victory. We are not here for the GC, and the most important thing for us was the stage win, and we now have it here with the team so, overall I'm pretty happy. It was a really technical course. It was not only about power it was also about technique, and with our team, we have a lot of experience, and that helped a lot to keep everyone together. Everyone put a stone in this victory, and it was really nice to see that we could still win today.”
- Valerio Piva, Sports Director - "We came here with the team time trial win as our main objective. Of course, this morning it was difficult to motivate the riders because of the weather, but finally, the decision was made by the organization and the jury to ride but not for time. The guys were amazing in the race. Everyone was concentrating on doing their best. I am very happy. A team victory is good, and it gives everyone motivation."
Race Profile - Volta a la Communitat Valenciana:
- Stage 3 Team Time Trial Poble Nou de Benitataxell > Calpe (23km)
- Top 3: 1. BMC Racing Team, 2. Astana Pro Team, 3. AG2R La Mondiale