INEOS Grenadiers (Italy) - Press Release: Giro d'Italia - Stage 21 » Senago › Milan ITT, 30.3km.
Egan Bernal put the finishing touches to a rousing Giro d'Italia victory on a special final day in Milan.
The Colombian took a comfortable advantage into the time trial and had time to savour the moment as he raised his arms in victory, with an eventual winning margin of one minute and 29 seconds.
Also celebrating on the day was Filippo Ganna, with the world time trial champion securing a phenomenal fifth Giro time trial stage victory in a row. The first rider in history to do so. It was far from straightforward for the Italian, who had to overcome a late puncture and bike change, yet was still able to win the stage by 12 seconds.
With the Grenadiers also clinching the team classification by a dominant margin, the day was made by Daniel Martinez, who put in a strong TT ride to elevate himself into fifth overall by the slenderest of margins.
The team put in an incredible performance across the three weeks, with Jonathan Castroviejo, Gianni Moscon, Salvatore Puccio and Jhonatan Narvaez joining Bernal, Ganna and Martinez on the stage in Milan. Pavel Sivakov was sadly missed after starting the race but being forced to abandon following a crash on stage five.
Stage 21 result:
- Filippo Ganna (INEOS Grenadiers) 33:48
- Remi Cavagna (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +12"
- Edoardo Affini (Jumbo-Visma) +13"
- Matteo Sobrero (Astana-Premier Tech) +14"
- Joao Almeida (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +27"
- Egan Bernal (INEOS Grenadiers) 86:17:28
- Damiano Caruso (Bahrain Victorious) +1:29"
- Simon Yates (Team BikeExchange) +4:15"
- Aleksandr Vlasov (Astana-Premier Tech) +6:40"
- Daniel Martinez (INEOS Grenadiers) +7:24"